BNAN Youth Conservation Corps Now Hiring Adult Staff: Dorchester Crew Supervisor (PDF)
• Crew Supervisor (1 opening)
• Neponset Greenway – Pope John Paul II Park, Dorchester MAP
The Crew Supervisor is responsible for leading a team of 10-12 urban youth, ages 15-17 to complete outdoor work projects at Pope John Paul II Park in Dorchester. The Supervisor will be accountable for the physical work, wellbeing, behavior and safety of the crewmembers. Daily tasks include coordinating the crew’s approach to work projects, teaching and following best practices, delivering formal and informal environmental education, and facilitating teambuilding activities. Working with BNAN staff and on-site project partners, the Supervisor is responsible for high quality project outcome and learning experience of the youth.
• At least 21 years of age
• Minimum two years’ experience working with and positively motivating urban teens
• Strong leadership, conflict-resolution and teambuilding skills
• Physically fit and up to the challenge of demanding conservation work
• Teaching or youth development experience, especially in environmental education
• Ability to work independently, exercise good judgment and adapt under changing conditions
• Familiarity with Dorchester or native of Boston a plus
• Current First Aid & CPR certification by youth start date (7/9)
Work Schedule, Dates and Salary:
• 30 hrs/wk, End of June – Aug. 24, $20/hr
• Paid Training: June 23, 25-27, July 1-2, schedule TBA
• Typical work schedule 8:00AM – 2:00PM, Mon-Fri when in session July-Aug
Send a resume and detailed cover letter describing why you will make an exceptional Crew supervisor to Candice Cook, Program Managercandice@bostonnatural.org.
Please include your first and last name in the title of your file attachments.
Learn more at www.bostonnatural.org/ycc.htm • 617-542-7696
Application Deadline: May 18, 2012
Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis, applying early encouraged.
(Old post below)
Don’t waste your summer inside! Work as part of a team outdoors! YCC is an outdoor job opportunity for youth ages 15-17. During the summer, YCC teens work as part of team to accomplish important conservation projects on the Neponset Greenway in Dorchester and Mattapan and Stony Brook Reservation in Hyde Park. YCC teens create and maintain trails; complete native restoration projects, which attract birds, insects and other wildlife; remove invasive plant species; create murals along the Neponset and East Boston Greenways; and learn about current local and global environmental concerns.
Youth must either be a resident of Boston registered with the Mayor’s Hopeline at http://www.bostonyouthzone.com
Summer 2012 Positions Available:
Position: Youth Conservation Corps Member
Locations: 1. East Boston Greenway 2. Neponset Greenway: Pope John Paul II Park, Dorchester 3. Neponset Greenway: Mattapan Square 4. Stony Brook Reservation, Hyde Park
Responsibilities: Youth will be part of one of the above teams with 10-12 other youth and will engage in physical work projects to better parks and natural areas. Corps members will learn about environmental topics while performing conservation projects, trail building, landscaping and other similar activities. YCC youth also participate in outdoor programming such as canoeing and biking as well as job skills workshops.
- 15 – 17 years of age this summer
- Resident of Boston registered with the City of Boston Hope Line (Visit www.bostonyouthzone.com to register, deadline March 2.) –or– Resident of Milton *Through special funding, a limited number of positions are available for Milton residents.
- Ability to perform physical work outdoors in all weather
- Interest in learning about the natural environment
- Enthusiasm to work as part of a team
- Desire to make a difference in your community
Number of Positions: 48
Work Schedule: 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., Monday-Friday, July 9 – August 24 (7 wks.)
Stipend: $8.00 per hour, 25 hours/week
Application Deadline: March 12, 2012
TO APPLY: Send completed application form to:
Candice Cook, Boston Natural Areas Network 62 Summer Street, Boston, MA 02110 Phone: 617-542-7696 x16 • Fax: 617-542-0383
• Email: email@example.com
How To Register for Hopeline:
Complete the Online Registration Form (www.bostonyouthzone.com) that will be available 24 hours a day beginning Tuesday 2/1/2012 10:00 a.m. until Friday 3/4/2012 11:59 p.m. You may also call 617-635-HOPE (4673) on the following days and times: Tuesday 2/21 through Thursday 2/23, from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Hopeline Registration Requirements
• Must be a full time resident of the City of Boston
• Must turn 15 Years Old on or before July 8, 2012
• Cannot turn 18 Years Old on or before August 17, 2012
Contact BYF With Any Questions at 617-635-4202 or BostonYouthFund@cityofboston.gov.