During the past year The Food Project have been pleased to share the Dudley Greenhouse with a variety of community groups. The greenhouse has provided space not just for food production, but also for the sharing of food, culture and resources. For this upcoming year, TFP invites proposals from groups and individuals to once again share this incredible community space and resource.
The Dudley Greenhouse is a 10,000-square-foot facility in the Dudley Neighborhood of Roxbury. Owned by The Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative(DSNI) and leased by The Food Project, the greenhouse operates year-round as a food production and educational space. In one half of the greenhouse, The Food Project’s staff and youth operate enterprise projects. In the remaining area, The Food Project provides community educational programming through our “Grow Well, Eat Well, Be Well” workshop series, and also provides space and programming support to nine community groups working on various food production projects. Examples of projects from the 2011-12 year include:
- A local gardener grew produce for low-income seniors. The seniors she worked with started many of the seedlings themselves; the seedlings were then cultivated in the greenhouse and the produce was given back to the seniors.
- Local schools used the gardens as an opportunity to encourage healthy eating habits amongst their students. The students learned about growing their own food and experienced workshops about cooking, science, and food justice.
- Immigrant and refugee groups used the greenhouse as a space for communal gardening and community-building. They learned more about gardening in the United States and cultivated crops that are important to their cultural identity.
For the upcoming year, beginning in September 2012, TFP invites proposals from groups and individuals interested in working with us to build a stronger, healthier community! Proposals are due July 20th, and details are provided in the attached document. TFP is particularly interested in proposals from members of the Dudley community. Information sessions to learn more about the greenhouse, past projects, and the current RFP process, will take place in June and July:
Dudley Greenhouse RFP Information Sessions
- WHERE: Dudley Greenhouse, 11 Brook Ave, Roxbury, MA
- WHEN: Tuesday June 26: 6-7:30pm; Thursday July 5th: 6-7:30pm; Thursday July 11th: 6-7:30pm